Zortrax M200 printer Forum Index

Zortrax M200 printer
Here is the forum to exchange, share feedbacks, and tips for our great Zortrax products.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem?
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zortrax M200 printer Forum Index -> HARDWARE { M200 } -> HARDWARE [M200]
Previous topic :: Next topic  
MikeHenry

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 17:53 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Zortrax confirmed to me in email that the Z-axis leadscrew on currently shipping printers has changed from a ball screw to a trapezoidal screw.  Can anyone comment on how that may affect performance and print quality?

Also, are the X and Y axis ballscrews or trapezoidal screws?

I can see where accuracy and repeatibility may not be affected much with a trapezoidal screw on the Z axis as the movement is in one direction only, but X and Y move both directions so backlash can be expected to be more significant and smaller with ballscrews on those axes.  

Trhuster

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 18:09 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

It is no screws in X/Y, just rods and they are still the same.

Andre

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 18:51 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

It will not have any effect on print quality. The Z axis is moving so slow and backlash is irrelevant (it's only loaded from one direction)...a ball screw here is complete overkill. IMHO the lead screw is the better and more robust choice. The ball screw causes trouble if dirt or a small plastic piece gets in there (that's why I have a printed guard on it). 

I had several CNC's with lead screws and they were incredibly accurate.

The X and Y have belts...no screws there. 

MikeHenry

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 19:02 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Trhuster wrote:
It is no screws in X/Y, just rods and they are still the same.

Oops - I'm used to thinking in terms of CNC mills where ballscrews are more common.  Looks like 3D printers commonly use timing belts and pulleys for motion control on X and Y.

You probably have one of the original ballscrew Z-axis M200 printers.  Do you think that a trapezoidal Z-screw would adversely affect printer performance or print quality?

MikeHenry

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 19:09 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Andre wrote:
It will not have any effect on print quality. The Z axis is moving so slow and backlash is irrelevant (it's only loaded from one direction)...a ball screw here is complete overkill. IMHO the lead screw is the better and more robust choice. The ball screw causes trouble if dirt or a small plastic piece gets in there (that's why I have a printed guard on it). 

I'm probably over-thinking but could "stiction" be an issue, especially as the Z-axis is only lowered during printing?  Perhaps that's more of a function of the guide rails and the load on them.

Come to think of it, what does Zortrax recommend for lubricant and lubrication frequency on the screw and guide rails?

pilou74

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 20:33 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Like Andre said, the print quality will not be affected.

But I am curious to know why it was changed. Is it a cost-saving option ? Is it a procurement leadtime improvement matter ? We will probably never know.

pilou74

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 20:34 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Mike :
There is a small lubricant tube in the maintenance kit. You can use it for the maintenance.
We do not have any recommendation from zortrax team for maintenance routine. Maybe soon. ;)

Any lubricant will do, IMO.

YosemiteSam

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 21:00 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

A tube of PTFE grease is included with each Zortrax M200.

MikeHenry

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 21:18 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Thanks for the lube info.  I'm used to using way lubricant for my machine tools and thought maybe that was recommended.  I'm beginning to see that 3D printing is a bit different than machining.

Regarding the change to the trapezoidal Z-screw, Zortrax sales indicated that it was due to long delivery schedule for the ball screw and something about fitting one or both ends to printer components.  If the ball screw was hardened (and the trapezoidal was not) I can see why it would be cheaper and faster to modify the latter.  It would also make for a cheaper repair part.

pilou74

PostPosted: Sat 5 Apr - 21:58 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

MikeHenry wrote:
Thanks for the lube info. I'm used to using way lubricant for my machine tools and thought maybe that was recommended. I'm beginning to see that 3D printing is a bit different than machining.

Regarding the change to the trapezoidal Z-screw, Zortrax sales indicated that it was due to long delivery schedule for the ball screw and something about fitting one or both ends to printer components. If the ball screw was hardened (and the trapezoidal was not) I can see why it would be cheaper and faster to modify the latter. It would also make for a cheaper repair part.

I believe this is the reason. It makes sense.
And that's fine.

Andre

PostPosted: Mon 7 Apr - 05:15 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Would be great to see pictures of the newest Zortrax version with lead screw. Could someone post some if the printer arrives?

jayceekeys

PostPosted: Mon 7 Apr - 07:32 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Hey Andre,

Here is a pic of an eggcup being printed yesterday on a new printer with the trapezoid screw Smile  I will try and upload some more later when I'm back at my PC. The quality is perfect - the screw change makes no difference - this print was done at 0.19 layer height.

Cheers,

Jay

jayceekeys

PostPosted: Mon 7 Apr - 07:35 (2014)    Post subject: Pic Reply with quote

Pic (having trouble attaching before)

Andre

PostPosted: Tue 8 Apr - 13:11 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Can't see any pictures...

jayceekeys

PostPosted: Tue 8 Apr - 14:07 (2014)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem? Reply with quote

Hey Andre,

Sorry ... I thought I had forgotten to attach the first time - it's just that although it allows you to pick the file, the upload fails from iOS .... I will try again later from a pc Smile

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:11 (2017)    Post subject: Z screw change from ballscrew to trapezoidal - problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zortrax M200 printer Forum Index -> HARDWARE { M200 } -> HARDWARE [M200] All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4  >
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

Portal | Index | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation