Zortrax M200 printer Forum Index

Zortrax M200 printer
Here is the forum to exchange, share feedbacks, and tips for our great Zortrax products.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amount of Zortrax filament on spool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zortrax M200 printer Forum Index -> HARDWARE { M200 } -> TROUBLESHOOTING
Previous topic :: Next topic  
dgtaylor45

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar - 17:21 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Someone had posted a question on the other forum before it went down about the amount of filament you received when you ordered a 1 Kg spool of zortrax filament.  I don't recall exactly his measurements but they were wondering about other manufacturers.  I weighed two full Octave filament spools that I have.  One full spool weighed 1190g, the other weighed 1160g.  The only empty Octave spool I have weighed 156g.  In these instances it would appear that there is 1 Kg of filament on the spool.

pilou74

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar - 20:47 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with the weight of the last post on the Zortrax forum. I weighted mine : 

1030grs for the full spool. The internal plastic holder is around 150grs. That means they screwed us by more than 100grs of filament (meaning more than 10% of material)...

It's a shame.... 

Monkey_Nuts

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar - 12:34 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

I'm completely new to 3d printing, so do take me with pitch of salt.

the 1kg filament thing. Is this big issue? seems like description error?

It does sound as if it's wrong, but could be just honest mistake?

pilou74

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar - 13:24 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

We really don't know. Maybe they didn't check that point carefully themselves. I don't think they did it on purpose. But now that the mistake is out there, they should make it up for it. 

dgtaylor45

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar - 17:25 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is a description error.  It may just be a communication with the company that puts it on the spools.  They may think the entire package should weigh 1Kg, not the amount of filament.

Having said that, the industry standard seems to be 1Kg of filament, not 1Kg package weight.  You can purchase 750g spools and 850g spools which contain that much filament.  If they are only putting 900g of filament on the spool, then it should state that.

The filament is sold by weight since there are two common diameters, 1.75 and 3.mm.  If it was sold by length, 100m of 3mm filament would print more than the same length of 1.75mm filament.

Monkey_Nuts

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar - 19:01 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

ah gotcha! there are different weights of filaments that are industry standard. so you can buy 750g, 850g, 1kg etc and this generally excludes the weight of the plastic spool.

like you say though, most likely they weren't aware themselves. I don't think the would profit that much from this. 1000 rolls @ $20 = $20k, 10% overcharge = $2k. the price of just selling one printer. not that much gained from it.

I assume the point is more about not being told that the over-charge i.e. not sticking to terms of trading (standards). they might well refund you people?

Catalin C.

PostPosted: Mon 5 May - 23:51 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

1 kg (2.2 lb) gross wt. / 800 g (1.76 lb) net. wt.
I didn't notice this before, but now it's clearly mentioned in the product page.

pilou74

PostPosted: Tue 6 May - 00:24 (2014)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

Did they lower their price ? I don't think so.... Wink

jold

PostPosted: Sun 7 Jun - 18:28 (2015)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool Reply with quote

Catalin C. wrote:
1 kg (2.2 lb) gross wt. / 800 g (1.76 lb) net. wt.
I didn't notice this before, but now it's clearly mentioned in the product page.

The exact weight of empty spool is 185 grams. (weight of the brand new spool without foil is 985 grams, assume there should be more than 800 grams of material. Hope this helps. I will update you once I will have empty spool.

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 19:15 (2018)    Post subject: Amount of Zortrax filament on spool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zortrax M200 printer Forum Index -> HARDWARE { M200 } -> TROUBLESHOOTING All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Portal | Index | Create own nforum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation